Monday, June 14, 2010

The Return of the Foppa?


Wow. I have to start by saying that I am thoroughly shocked to be able to even write about this little piece of news in Flyer-dom. Pleasantly shocked, but still shocked.

Well, for all of you who aren't aware about a giant piece of news that broke yesterday, it seems that our fearless General Manager, Paul Holmgren, pulled out the heavy artillery on March 2nd. How did he do so?

He offered a contract to Swedish superstar, Peter Forsberg.

I must admit that even after several years of "Will he, won't he" Forsberg rumors in this city, I am shocked to find this out. Perhaps it's the time the story was broken by the Swedish newspaper, The Expressen. All that can be taken by this journalist is...wow.

"Yeah, it's true," Forsberg said when speaking about the offer. "But I felt that I wasn't in good enough shape to go."

The thought of having Peter Forsberg, injury riddled and 36-years-old, made my hockey heart melt at the thought of it. Can Flyers fans imagine the thought of Peter Forsberg possibly playing on the same line as Claude Giroux? After all, Giroux is known for having on-ice vision that rivals Peter the Great. It certainly would've added a nice boost to our lineup.

But wait, that's not all. Although Forsberg didn't commit to playing in the NHL, or any league for that matter...he did not rule out the thought.

"It's way too early to start speculating about teams when I still don't even know if I can come back and play hockey again," Forsberg told the Expressen.

The Flyers don't need Peter Forsberg this season. In fact, I plan on the crafty play-maker staying in Sweden for the rest of his career... but there's just something that builds up inside of me when I think of him flying the orange and black again. He introduced me to some of the most amazing passing I have ever seen as a hockey fan.

I'd love to see what else the old man has up his sleeve.




No comments:

Post a Comment